The Multi-Basin Regional Water Council (MBRWC) - Winter 2008
The ERWIA has been participating in the formation of another new organization known as the Multi-Basin Regional Watershed Council
. The Council is comprised of water related agencies and organizations in the four-state region. The Council is a not-for-profit organization whose purpose is to: 1) Educate its members and the public on environmental issues as they connect to water quality, water availability, water conservation, and, watershed management; 2) Boost the capacity of member organizations to cooperate and to fulfill their own missions; and, 3) Sponsor open and frank discussions of appropriate action items to address multi-county and multi-state issues. Examples are:
Origin and Scope
- Foster communication among agencies and nongovernmental organizations;
- Encourage sharing of resources among groups;
- Reduce redundancy in educational efforts;
- Promote delivery of a consistent message;
- Develop common action items to address priority issues as determined by the Council;
- Help each other in securing funding for needed projects;
- Provide factual data to policy makers regarding water/wastewater/watershed issues; and
- Work towards favorable public attitudes and buy-in of the council membersí efforts.
MBRWC was the creation of a four-state Water Summit held in Bentonville, AR on November 9, 2007. The summit comprised representatives of over 25 water-related organizations. Its coverage area includes contiguous portions of Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Oklahoma and their interconnected watersheds. By-laws, programs, and leadership structure are being developed.. Education, Technical, and Organization Committees are active. The next meeting of the full Council will be May 16 at Bentonville, followed by a meeting on August 22 in Missouri.
Membership in the MBRWC is open to organizations that share in the Councilís purpose.
More information is available by email from Jim Gately, firstname.lastname@example.org.
A tabular summary of participating organizations, their objectives, activities and contact information at the time of the summit is available online at here